2 a plant or animal naturalized in a region; "denizens of field and forest"; "denizens of the deep"
EtymologyFrom Middle English denisein, from Anglo-Norman denzein, from deinz (meaning "within"), from deintus (meaning "from within"). Confer dedans.
- An inhabitant of
a place; one who dwells
- The giant squid is one of many denizens of the deep.
- One who frequents a
- The denizens of that pub are of the roughest sort.
- A citizen naturalized through letters
- Though born in Iceland, he became a denizen of Britain after leaving Oxford.
- Local flora and
- The bald eagle is a denizen of the northern part of the state.
an inhabitant of a place; one who dwells in
one who frequents a place
(UK) a citizen naturalized through letters patent
local flora and fauna
A denizen is a resident with rights intermediate between those of a citizen and those of a resident alien; in particular:
Denizen may also refer to:
- Denizen (video game), action computer game published by Players Software in 1988 for the ZX Spectrum
- naturalization, process of acquiring citizenship
addressee, artist-in-residence, citizen, colonize, dweller, empeople, frequenter, habitant, haunter, house detective, incumbent, inhabit, inhabitant, inhabiter, inmate, inpatient, intern, live-in maid, liver, locum tenens, national, occupant, occupier, people, plant, populate, residencer, resident, resident physician, residentiary, resider, settle, settle in, sojourner, subject, tenant